How to Stencil with Royal Icing on Jack-O-Lantern Cookies
Posted by Anne Yorks on Friday, October 16, 2015
Jack-O-Lanterns make the perfect Halloween treat and stenciling with Royal Icing is the easiest way to make those detailed faces!
Stenciling with royal icing is a quick way to add a design with lots of precision.
Take a look at how it's done in this time-lapse video. For more info on my recipes, check out the tutorial section on the website HERE for a cookie recipe and icing recipe video!
Here are a few tips for good results when stenciling with royal icing:
1. Use STIFF Icing. This is the icing that comes straight out of the mixer! The icing will hold the shape and won't ooze or smudge into areas it shouldn't be.
2. Gently spread icing with spatula to cover stencil. ***THE DRYING TIME IS NOT SHOWN IN THE VIDEO*** I like to allow the base icing layer on the cookies to dry 4-6 hours so I don't poke my finger into the surface of the cookie. I don't push too hard when spreading the icing because I don't want to squish the icing under the stencil.
3. Scrape off excess icing, but don't scrape it clean! So, when you are removing the excess, gently run your spatula or scraper over the stencil. I reuse stencils at least 6-12 times (sometimes more!) before I need to wash and dry the excess icing. If icing gets on the underside of the stencil you'll need to clean that before doing the next cookie.
4. Carefully pull up stencil. Don't wiggle the stencil or it will smudge your image.
5. If there is excess icing on the edges, clean up it up with a scribe, toothpick or fix-it stick
6. Use stencils with smaller areas. I find those stencil better than stencils with large designs.
This is the pumpkin cutter that is used in the video. It's my favorite because I like the size and I love the round shape of the pumpkin. It's available here.
I used three different Jack-O-Lantern stencils on this project. They are available in our online shop here! STENCIL SALE!! Save 15% on ALL stencils, scrapers and magnets using coupon code BOO15 (good through 10/18).
This is the pumpkin carvings stencil.
This is the Halloween phrases stencil...
And, here is the build a pumpkin stencil...
Check our full line of Halloween stencils here!