Valentine's Day is only a few weeks away and I'm already getting in the mood with some really cute cookies, like this Cupid!
Here is a video showing a start-to-finish look at how he is decorated.
I used a Kopykake (a cookie projector) to help guide my outlines on the cookie. It's not necessary, you can freehand, but sometimes it is nice to have a guide when you're not following the outline of the cookie shape exactly.
If you don't have a KopyKake, don't worry, you can also cut out the sketch and trace it on the cookie.
It doesn't take much time, and if you use a light colored, food-safe marker, it's a great alternative to the expensive projector!
Plus, I made a slight modification to the cookie shape. I trimmed just the 'fringe' from the end of the scarf.
Let me break down the details and tip sizes.
- Use a snowman with scarf cookie cutter - flipped upside down.
- Use a KopyKake or food marker to help guide the outlines.
- Outline the hair (lemon yellow, tip #2) and tunic (sky blue, tip #2). I kept the top of the tunic open so I could control the round shape of the cupid's face.
- Outline and flood the face (copper, tip #1.5). I used a 20-second icing for this color (thinner than piping icing, but thicker than flood) to do the small arm and legs areas. The smaller tip size gives me a little more control. Allow these areas to dry for an hour or two in front of a fan before flooding the next areas.
- Flood the hair and tunic. Allow to dry at least 2 hours before piping details.
- Add hair lines and a little heart shaped hair cowlick with tip #2.
- Add using tip #1 for these fine details, add black line for arrow, string for bow, string belt with heart bow and loose strings, eyes and smile.
- With pink piping icing and tip #3 (adds a little beefiness to this detail), pipe the bow handle and arrow tip.
- With white icing and tip #3 and good hand pressure, add heart wings.
- With soft pink icing and tip #2, add small heart on chest. And the cuteness is complete!
I love finding new ways to use cookie cutters. I have used this snowman with scarf several times. Check it out! This cutter is available in our online store here.